Middle Android Software Engineer for Online TV Streaming Giant
About the Client
The product we develop is a free online television service broadcasting over 75 live channels full of the TV shows, movies and Internet videos, all on one dial. The company was founded in 2013 and is based in Los Angeles, California. TechHive, a home technology review site, referred to the product as the best cord-cutting application. The app is on AppleTV, Android TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, and PlayStation. The company currently has around 75 content partners. The company also as of October 2016 has around 5 million monthly active users up from 500,000 in early 2015. The client generates revenue from video advertisements between programming, and has a goal to continue to stay as free television.
The Client is the leading free streaming television service in America, delivering 250+ live and original channels and thousands of on-demand movies in partnership with major TV networks, movie studios, publishers, and digital media companies. The App is available on all mobile, web and connected TV streaming devices and millions of viewers tune in each month to watch premium news, TV shows, movies, sports, lifestyle, and trending digital series. Headquartered in West Hollywood, the Client has offices in New York, Silicon Valley, Chicago and Berlin.
About the Project
The Project is led by a seasoned team of entrepreneurs, TV and technology executives, and top-of-class team members. $43M+ funding with investors like US Venture Partners, Sky, Chicago Ventures, Universal Music Group, United Talent Agency and Pritzker Group. Top app with millions of users across platforms like web, iOS, Android, Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Vizio, Samsung, and more.
One of the hottest startups in Los Angeles and one of the leading video platforms in the industry – often covered in NY Times, Forbes, Techcrunch, Variety, USA Today, CNN, Mashable and more!
High energy culture. Passionate entrepreneurial team. Massive market. Employing the best of the best in the industry. We’re building the future of television.
About the Team
Our team is led by some of the best entrepreneurs and executives in media and technology. Our Executive Chairman was the Chief Content Officer of Spotify. Our co-founder and CEO was the CEO of Threadless and board member of Trunk Club and Smule. Our principal architect built the first Roku for Netflix. You’ll be joining a world-class startup team, with multiple exits under their belt, to build the future of television.
Our team solves business and technology problems. We run many experiments. We iterate on successful tests and turn them into products. We deploy those products across our apps to millions of users. We obsess over data. We run a lean, agile, vegan, non-gmo, all organic development process. Our team is aligned with company goals and KPIs. We have autonomy on how to solve problems. We bring out the entrepreneur in every engineer. We work together to build the future of TV.
Responsibilities and Skills
- Hands on software development on the Android /Amazon platform that drives multiple applications for some of the most popular global entertainment brands
- Design, develop, test, maintain, integrating and improving existing applications
- Work with the product team to understand and deliver on their requirements
- Lead individual project priorities, deadlines and work.
- Participate in preparing business cases, requirements documents and product roadmaps for the Android platform.
- Attend and participate in meetings and multi-disciplinary committees as required
- Prepare architectural diagrams and technical specifications for the engineering team to deliver high quality, maintainable software
- Represent coding standard methodologies through sharing your expertise, performing code reviews, and mentoring engineers
- Experience programming in Kotlin and Java using Gradle and Android Studio
- Experience following and implementing software design patterns.
- Able to work with multiple scrum teams in an agile process.
- Experience with unit testing, test driven development, branching patterns and continuous integration / deployment
- Be an advocate for high quality software and excellent user experiences
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to facilitate conversations with business partners in project definition, business requirements definition and functional design sessions.
- Eye for quality and user experience
- Translate business objectives into software requirementsBasic Qualifications
- 3+ years experience developing Android Applications
- Good English Skills – Read and Write: Advanced / Speaking: Intermediate
- Have shipped one or more apps to the Google Play and/or Amazon app store.
- Familiarity with RxJava or other reactive frameworks
- Familiarity with Dependency Injection frameworks, such as Dagger.
- Experience developing for Android TV / Amazon Fire TV
- Experience working across multiple interdisciplinary teams
- Experience working with globally distributed teams
- Experience working on Android project with multi-module architecture
- Experience with Video Streaming (HLS / MPEG-DASH)
- Previous experiences working with ExoPlayer- Widevine DRM knowledge