Middle Node.js Software Engineer for Online TV Streaming Giant
About the Client
The Client is the leading free streaming television service in America, delivering 250+ live and original channels and thousands of on-demand movies in partnership with major TV networks, movie studios, publishers, and digital media companies. The App is available on all mobile, web and connected TV streaming devices and millions of viewers tune in each month to watch premium news, TV shows, movies, sports, lifestyle, and trending digital series. Headquartered in West Hollywood, the Client has offices in New York, Silicon Valley, Chicago and Berlin.
About the Project
The Project is led by a seasoned team of entrepreneurs, TV and technology executives, and top-of-class team members. $43M+ funding with investors like US Venture Partners, Sky, Chicago Ventures, Universal Music Group, United Talent Agency and Pritzker Group. Top app with millions of users across platforms like web, iOS, Android, Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Vizio, Samsung, and more.
One of the hottest startups in Los Angeles and one of the leading video platforms in the industry – often covered in NY Times, Forbes, Techcrunch, Variety, USA Today, CNN, Mashable and more!
High energy culture. Passionate entrepreneurial team. Massive market. Employing the best of the best in the industry. We’re building the future of television.
About the Team
Our team is led by some of the best entrepreneurs and executives in media and technology. Our Executive Chairman was the Chief Content Officer of Spotify. Our co-founder and CEO was the CEO of Threadless and board member of Trunk Club and Smule. Our principal architect built the first Roku for Netflix. You’ll be joining a world-class startup team, with multiple exits under their belt, to build the future of television.
Our team solves business and technology problems. We run many experiments. We iterate on successful tests and turn them into products. We deploy those products across our apps to millions of users. We obsess over data. We run a lean, agile, vegan, non-gmo, all organic development process. Our team is aligned with company goals and KPIs. We have autonomy on how to solve problems. We bring out the entrepreneur in every engineer. We work together to build the future of TV.
Responsibilities and Skills
As a Playout – Software Engineer II, you will be expected to contribute with a team of engineers to support an industry-leading Over-the-Top (OTT) software platform. You will attend regular sprint meetings, and work closely with other engineers to fix bugs, work on technical debt, and design & implement features. In this role, you will be considered to be 100% autonomous for day-to-day work. Furthermore, you will be mentored by a senior engineer. This mentoring will come in the form of pair programming, “onboarding buddy”, etc.
Detailed list of responsibilities:
- Discuss business and technical/architectural solutions;
- Build new features together with the client according to business requirements;
- Build infrastructure for the new project from scratch, implement changes to the existing projects;
- Translate complex functional, technical and business requirements into architectural designs;
- Communicate with the customer.
As an individual contributor you will need to provide proven expertise in the following areas:
- 2+ years of experience with scripting languages for backend
- NodeJS (preferred), Python, Ruby, etc.
- 1+ years of experience with OTT
- HLS and DASH
- DRM – FairPlay, WideVine, or PlayReady.
- 4+ years of experience in a relevant field (engineering,physics, mathematics, etc)
- Conversational verbal skills for the English language.
- Excellent written skills for the English language.
- Must be able to work a regular on-call rotation shared equally between the team members.
Experience with the following would be helpful. Missing too many may result in too steep a learning curve. Please be open and honest with yourself. If you don’t have a skill set that would allow you to be 100% autonomous with at least 4 of the following technologies and concepts, you would not be a good fit for this position.
- Infrastructure as Code: Terraform, Cloudformation, Kubernetes, Helm
- GitHub, GitHub Actions
- Jenkins, Circleci, Ansible, Salt, etc
- Microservices Architecture
- Testing Best Practices
- Unit Tests
- Automated test suites
- Software Design Best Practices