Senior Java Developer for AI-Powered Vertical Farming Company
About the Client
Our client is on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
The customer’s product is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that’s better for people and the planet. He builds farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And his produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.
About the Project
The customer is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Platform team who will architect, implement and maintain backend systems and infrastructure. You will be a foundational member of the platform team that builds and manages critical software and data systems used across the organization. You will identify needs, collect requirements, and build and test systems and infrastructure used company-wide. You will contribute to the advanced automation in production lines while also amplifying the impacts of Application Engineers, Data Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers, and Production Engineers across multiple organizations.
About the Team
We are gathering a strong team of Java developers to work on new components.
Responsibilities and Skills
- As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for designing and implementing Backend components for the FarmOS Execution System
- Help identify opportunities where production data can be highly leveraged to improve production yields, efficiencies, and quality
- Utilize Object-oriented design, domain driven design and analysis skills to design and implement backend-end software
- Maintain a rigorous standard for deploying clean, tested code in a highly collaborative environment with rapid iteration
- Create tooling, automation, and documentation to facilitate others in deploying, operating, and extending your code
- Design and implement a highly performant distributed system to orchestrate operations in the farm with an emphasis on performance, resiliency and scalability
- Manage and maintain evolving data systems for automation equipment logs and logic
- Support, guide, and lead the data community within the company
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Strong proficiency with Git
- Experience managing configuration in a public AWS cloud
- Experience with CI/CD workflows and tools
- Strong background in system architectures, high-performance computing, and distributed systems
- Ability to design and implement RESTful microservices based on user-research
- You are experienced using technologies in several of the following areas: microservices, various IPC models, Spring or Guice, cloud-based deployments
- Experience building monitoring tools and continuous integration pipelines a plus
- BS or MS in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or equivalent
- Experience supporting mission-critical systems
- Strong interpersonal, communication and collaborative skills to work effectively within and across teams.
- Upper-Intermediate level of English
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of Python
- Experience with GitHub
- Experience working with a diverse set of databases, such as Postgres, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, and Cassandra
- Experience with big data technologies such as Spark, Kafka, Akka, MapReduce